In 2016 we began observing actors we believe to be North Korean utilizing their intrusion capabilities to conduct cyber crime, targeting banks and the global financial system. This marked a departure from previously observed activity of North Korean actors employing cyber espionage for traditional nation state activities. Yet, given North Korea’s position as a pariah nation cut off from much of the global economy – as well as a nation that employs a government bureau to conduct illicit economic activity – this is not all that surprising. With North Korea’s tight control of its military and intelligence capabilities, it is likely that this activity was carried out to fund the state or personal coffers of Pyongyang’s elite, as international sanctions have constricted the Hermit Kingdom.
- North Korea Hackers Stole South Korea-U.S. Military Plans to Wipe Out North Korea Leadership: Lawmaker Digest Article
- U.S. Government Shares Technical Details on North Korean Hacking Campaign Digest Article
- Roles and Responsibilities for Defending the Nation from Cyber Attack Digest Article
- US, UK Accuse Russia of Hacking Home Routers and ISPs to Conduct MitM Attacks Digest Article
- President Donald J. Trump Proclaims October 2017 as National Cybersecurity Awareness Month Digest Article