Welcome to the inaugural special modeling and simulation (M&S) edition of the Journal of Cyber Security & Information Systems, published by the Cyber Security & Information Systems Information Analysis Center (CSIAC). In lieu of continuing publication of the quarterly M&S Journal we have transitioned to a more visible venue in collaboration with the CSIAC with this inaugural edition.
Where the CSIAC’s journal normally carries two or three M&S-specific articles, this special edition focuses solely on M&S.
Since the Defense M&S Coordination Office (DMSCO) was established in 1991, two of our primary goals for the Department have been interoperability and reuse of M&S tools and data. But, you can’t reuse what you don’t know about.
As the focal point for Defense M&S, we work to enable interoperability and reuse by facilitating the sharing of information and benefits of M&S across the Defense M&S Community, to include industry, academia, and our international partners.
For example, within the Department’s M&S management structure we conduct:
- quarterly meetings of the Deputies of the DoD M&S Steering Committee;
- weekly situation reports to the Deputies;
- presentations and demonstrations at M&S Community events like the Interservice and Industry Training, Simulation, and Education Conference (IITSEC);
- participation in NATO, The Technical Cooperation Program (TTCP), and bilateral activities;
- visits to M&S stakeholder organizations; and
- publishing articles in the CSIAC’s journal.
My intent, working through the M&S Journal Editorial Board, is to produce an annual M&S special edition that focuses on a particular theme or topic. For this inaugural issue, we asked the Services and other DoD Components to provide a snapshot of the state of M&S in their organizations.
If you are reading this you are likely a member of the Defense M&S Community. I hope you find it informative and useful.
We would like your feedback. If you have comments or questions please contact the DMSCO at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Finally, my thanks to the organizations who contributed to this first M&S special edition and to the CSIAC for working with us to make it possible.